ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:18:15 -0500
Berry,
Actually process in this domain do change, both in terms of the constituents
of the process ( the process IS change ) and the process instance (state of
the process) and in some cases the definition of the process.    (01)

In large manufacturing and design processes (E.G. the 747 Airplane) the
process definition is not static, it is designed to adapt to this long
running process.    (02)

This is, of course a different mindset from your dealing with natural
processes, but there are, of course, intersections.    (03)

I think this also serves to further delineate our different use-cases, which
should be more explicitly defined.  We deal with architecture of systems
(human, organizational and automated systems).  Our use case is defining
those systems, their constituents, behaviors and interoperation.  Most
importantly it is an act of specification - not "understanding the natural
world".  Our world is largely derived from the acts and concepts of humans.
Types are, typically DEFINED, not discovered.  Ontologies and models are,
essentially "opinions" about things are or should be.  There is of course
touch points with the "natural world", but that is not where we have the
most challenges.    (04)

-Cory    (05)