ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:47:45 +0100
At 05:18 PM 1/24/2006, you wrote:
>Berry,
>Actually process in this domain do change, both in terms of the constituents
>of the process ( the process IS change ) and the process instance (state of
>the process) and in some cases the definition of the process.    (01)

An individual process does not change. It is change.    (02)

Can a process type change? Can any type change? This is a hard question.    (03)

Can a definition of a process type change? Of course.
Can requirements placed on processes change? Of course.    (04)

>In large manufacturing and design processes (E.G. the 747 Airplane) the
>process definition is not static, it is designed to adapt to this long
>running process.
>
>This is, of course a different mindset from your dealing with natural
>processes, but there are, of course, intersections.
>
>I think this also serves to further delineate our different use-cases, which
>should be more explicitly defined.    (05)

More simply, it means that we need to make clear in each case whether
we are talking about a process instance, a process type, a definition
of a process type.    (06)

>  We deal with architecture of systems
>(human, organizational and automated systems).    (07)

Ontologies deal with (represent) the architecture of reality,
including also (but by no means exclusively) those parts of reality
created by humans.    (08)

>  Our use case is defining
>those systems, their constituents, behaviors and interoperation.  Most
>importantly it is an act of specification - not "understanding the natural
>world".  Our world is largely derived from the acts and concepts of humans.
>Types are, typically DEFINED, not discovered.  Ontologies and models are,
>essentially "opinions" about things are or should be.    (09)

Is the science of thermodynamics essentially an opinion?
Or the periodic table of the chemical elements?    (010)

>   There is of course
>touch points with the "natural world", but that is not where we have the
>most challenges.    (011)

Good. Let's get those right first, then.
BS    (012)