ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:44:13 +0100
At 03:12 PM 1/25/2006, you wrote:
>That is what some of us refer to as "concept", a single meaning that can
>have multiple terms/symbols.  Some people don't seem to like the concept of
>concept but I would think it crucial for disambiguating the multiple
>meanings and context.
>While this is a US centric group, we should also consider that there are
>2000 other natural languages in the world, some that would call into
>question the way we structure information.  We should be able to have an
>ontology that has multi-national terminology referencing common concepts.    (01)

'Concept' is a perfectly good word for what would otherwise be called
the meaning of a term. Unfortunately it has been used in ontology,
sloppily, to mean the referent of a term -- what we have now agreed
to call 'type'.
The consequences of this sloppy use are described here:
http://ontology.buffalo.edu/bfo/Beyond_Concepts.pdf
If you have responses to the arguments there presented, I would be
happy to consider them.
BS    (02)