ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:44:40 -0500
The word "process" has been used, I think, in at least three different
senses in different ontologies, and  to continue this discussion we at
least have to be clear whether we mean "something that happened in some
interval of time" (In Cyc and SUMO, indistinguishable from an Event),
or "something that is happening at some point in time".  The latter is
what is usually expressed in language by a gerundive ("moving") whereas
the former (Event-like) is expressed by a noun ("Movement").  The
distinction of the two senses is reflected in WordNet, where Process
and Event are on two different trees.  The third sense (as I understand
it) is the sense of "Industrial Process", which is a specification of
steps one can take to accomplish some desired goal.  As a specification
it is a mental thing and distinct from the physical process ("moving")
or event ("movement").    (01)

   This is an important issue.  I think that a good place to start the
discussion is to consider the papers by John Sowa:
  http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/causal.htm    (02)

 ... and (IMHO) myself:    (03)

http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SICoP/ontac/reference/DimensionsOfProce
ssAndEvent.doc    (04)

  If anyone is interested, send me a note directly (pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx)
and we will form another task team to discuss this issue.    (05)

  Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way