ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:21:14 +0100
At 07:49 PM 1/23/2006, you wrote:
>I see what you are saying, however what if a process has different
>portions - do those portions (which I assume are perdurants, to use
>the phrase from BFO) need to have an identified time index?  Here is
>my example -
>
>  Frank is in the contagious phase of his illness.
>
>  The illness is a process, the contagious phase is a subprocess
> (which is certainly true of the illness process, but not true of
> the entire life of the illness process).
>
>  Is it not more accurate to say "Frank is in the contagious phase
> of the illness, for the first two weeks"?    (01)

the 'is' is odd here
it sounds better with 'was' -- when we are looking back, as it were,
on the unfolding history of the illness    (02)

also you are here describing not the process but Frank -- it is
necessary to time-index statements of the form:    (03)

continuant participant_in process    (04)

See: http://genomebiology.com/2005/6/5/R46    (05)

BS    (06)