ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: "Chris Menzel" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:15:32 -0000
Dear Chris,    (01)

Could I attempt a slight precisification? I suggest:    (02)

A formal ontology is a set of sentences in a formal langauge.    (03)

I think an ontology covers a wider range of things, and the
addition of "formal" clarifies what we are really talking
about.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (06)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (08)