ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Cabral <jcabral@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:27:03 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Chris Menzel wrote:    (01)

> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:14:14 -0600
> From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
> To: John Cabral <jcabral@xxxxxxx>
> Cc: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion
>     <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>      "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?
>
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:27:02AM -0600, John Cabral wrote:

> > > That strikes me as a useful clarification.
> >
> > With regards to criticisms of the simple definition,
> >
> > First, it only takes one sentence to 'break' an ontology and make it
> > inconsistent.  Therefore, the exact set of sentences that you are
> > depending on is not a trivial issue.
>
> Certainly true, John.  I *think* you consider this breakability a
> virtue, but I'm not sure.  Or is it just an observation?    (02)

Actually, I was trying to give practical reasons for adopting the "set of
sentences"  definition of an ontology.  By breaking, I mean, introducing
contradictions.  So, this wasn't a virtue, it was expressing a worry that
users of an ontology might have.    (03)

> > Second, isa 2+2=4 is an ontology the same way that a "Hello World"
> > program is a program.  It's not very interesting, but it counts.
>
> Right.  It seems to me that any definition that tries to rule out
> "2+2=4" and rule in Cyc's upper ontology or SUMO is hopeless.
>
> > With regards to identity and changes...
> >
> > Can't we resolve a large part of this problem by developing a
> > bookkeeping / documentation system that will allow us to track these
> > sets of formal sentences and how they relate to each other and allow
> > the developers to communicate with others how they intended the
> > ontology to be used.
>
> I should think this is possible.
>
> > Moreover, the documentation will allow us to explain the purpose of the
> > ontology without requiring that we come up with an actual theory of
> > purpose that's included in the ontology itself. (That is, of course an
> > ontology has a purpose, but it doesn't have to be an ontology that can
> > represent purposes.)
>
> Strongly agree.
>
> -chris
>
>     (04)