ontac-dev

[ontac-dev] 'entity' comprehends both types and instances

To: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:01:24 +0100

> > the terms used to describe and represent THE TYPES OF ENTITIES IN an
> > area of knowledge (subject matter)
>
>The types (classes, whatever); ok, I'm down with that.  (Though I really
>don't like "ENTITY", but hey we've got axioms to clear up what we mean! ;-)
>
> > AND THE RELATIONS BETWEEN THESE ENTITIES.
>
>What happened to the entities themselves?  Granted, we typically
>axiomatize types, but suppose I'm developing, say, a demographic
>ontology.  Don't I get to talk about Philadelphia as well as the type
>CITY?  Don't we want axioms like "(InstanceOf Philly CITY)"?
>
> > An ontology thus defines the vocabulary and the DOMAIN OF ENTITIES AND
> > RELATIONS TO WHICH that vocabulary REFERS.
>
>Oh, good, there are the entities.  But what happened to the types?
>Shouldn't it be: the domain of ENTITYs, TYPEs, and RELATIONs?    (01)

I am using 'Entity' to comprehend both types and their instances.    (02)

There are relations
- between instances and instances (Chris's heart part-of Chris)
- between instances and types (Chris instantiates the type homo
sapiens; Chris is-allergic-to aspirin)
- between types and types (homo sapiens is-subtype-of mammal)    (03)

BS    (04)