ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:02:50 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

I was not particularly trying to get in the way of the discussion
between you and Chris on the additions to the definition you are
seeking. But since you challenge me hear are my 10c worth.    (02)

In the standards world, the definition usually consists of a
formal definition (maximum one sentence) saying what something
is, one or more notes that elaborate and talk about things like
usage or purpose, you then finish off with some examples.    (03)

I see Chris's as the first, and your additions as the second. So
I suggest you just round it off with some examples.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (06)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

ordinatingWG    (08)