ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:52:44 -0600
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:33:39PM +0100, Barry Smith wrote:
> At 04:34 PM 1/20/2006, you wrote:
> >I thought it was time I tried to offend you both ;), with my usual
> >definition of ontology:
> >
> >An ontology defines the terms used to describe and represent an area of
> >knowledge (subject matter). An ontology also is the model (set of
> >concepts) for the meaning of those terms. An ontology thus defines the
> >vocabulary and the meaning of that vocabulary.
>
> It seems that this means ontology a branch of epistemology (= the
> theory of knowledge)
>
> Better, would be, I think:
>
> An ontology defines     (01)

Well, it axiomatizes them, and occasionally defines them in terms of the
axiomatized primitives, but maybe that's too much a logician's point.    (02)

> the terms used to describe and represent THE TYPES OF ENTITIES IN an
> area of knowledge (subject matter)     (03)

The types (classes, whatever); ok, I'm down with that.  (Though I really
don't like "ENTITY", but hey we've got axioms to clear up what we mean! ;-)    (04)

> AND THE RELATIONS BETWEEN THESE ENTITIES.      (05)

What happened to the entities themselves?  Granted, we typically
axiomatize types, but suppose I'm developing, say, a demographic
ontology.  Don't I get to talk about Philadelphia as well as the type
CITY?  Don't we want axioms like "(InstanceOf Philly CITY)"?    (06)

> An ontology thus defines the vocabulary and the DOMAIN OF ENTITIES AND
> RELATIONS TO WHICH that vocabulary REFERS.    (07)

Oh, good, there are the entities.  But what happened to the types?
Shouldn't it be: the domain of ENTITYs, TYPEs, and RELATIONs?    (08)

-chris    (09)