ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: "'Chris Menzel'" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:18:22 -0500
Ok, logical gurus, help me out here.
The asserted "difference", between type and class is extensional.  The
statements below say that if the instances satisfying the types are the same
then types are the same.
Another statement would be if the instances satisfying the types must be the
same the types must be the same.
The <are> and <must be> are very important.    (01)

The first statement would only work for predicates that assume a very closed
and very static world.  E.G. the type of people on this list and the type of
people with 874 hairs on their left arm are the same so these types must be
the same - a very bad inference, particularly after I pluck a hair.  It
assumes global knowledge and a static world.  While I have no problem that
predicates or even logics may choose to make those assumptions, it should
not be part of the definition of type (or class).
If, on the other hand there is a logical necessity for the extensions to be
the same, the class and type concepts are the same - this works and I don't
see the issue. This also works in OWL.   This is what I thought the concept
of extensional classes entailed - but I am still learning.
As Chris says, you can ADD those assumptions to an ontology or context
without constraining core concepts like type/class/isKindOf.     (02)