ontac-dev

[ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 02:45:07 -0500
I would like to get a sense of this group on a terminological question.
If you have any preference at all, please send me a note directly.    (01)

The question was raised regarding what the ONTACWG community should
call those intensionally-defined groupings called:    (02)

  Class in Ontolingua and Protege
  Class in RDF and OWL
  Class in SUMO
  Collection   in OpenCyc
  Universal    in DOLCE
  Property in Ontology Works' IODE system
  ---------------    (03)

The only contenders put forward are:
   Type
   Class    (04)

   if "type" then  the subsumption relation will be subtype
   if "class" then the subsumption relation will be subclass    (05)

There have been a few expressions of support for each alternative.
It looks like time to resolve the question by vote.      (06)

Unless you want to express some opinion regarding this to the list, it
will be best to send me the reply directly to avoid overloading.    (07)

Pat    (08)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation
260 Industrial Way