ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: "Chris Menzel" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:58:21 +0200
Chris,    (01)

Thank you for taking such trouble in responding to my vote and my
argument behind it (which I have appended in full after your full
response below).    (02)

But oh dear, in your first point, starting with:    (03)

> I continue to be utterly flummoxed by this argument.  Do we, or do we
> not, believe ontologies can avert exactly these sorts of confusions?    (04)

and ending with:    (05)

> Add that axiom to your ontology, you get extensional classes.  Leave
> it out, you don't.  Simple, eh? :-)  What *is* the controversy here?    (06)

you are addressing matters which I did not raise and which are not
relevant at all to this vote Pat has called for.  As Pat put it (see his
full call for a vote also in the full history below), he was asking a
"terminological question".  This vote is merely about the choice of word
to use in whatever construction we end up with:  "type" or "class".
(And I don't think anyone significantly disagrees as to what the concept
is which the word is to be used for.)    (07)

I don't in fact think we need the word "class" at all in what we are
talking about.  In my work I have no use for that word other than
perhaps as an optional synonym for "type".    (08)

As your next point you had said:    (09)

> Indeed, I can't even think of a colloquial use of the term "class"
> that is extensional.    (010)

It does seem to me that, colloquially, any intensionality in "class" as
the product of a classification, is bottom-up from instances, or ex post
facto, or even almost coincidental.  That is the colloquial
extensionality in "class" which I had had in mind.    (011)

"Type" on the other hand, (in use though not in its inductive origin) is
more top-down or a priori and intentionally generic and coherent with
other such generalizations or types, all meaningful to us, and helping
us think, even though abstracted and temporarily removed from specific
instances.  We must all learn to live comfortably using appropriate
generic discourse.  That is where we are not merely "classifying", but
wanting to design more ideal "type"s (which, in my being-programmed
world, cohere with each other in conceptual "form"s rather than
"ontologies" (Instead of "form" I have in the past used "typology" and
later "model".  And certainly never "ontology".  But all that is yet
another story... )).   That is surely where "type" is more apt for
ordinary people than "class"?  Strange, but I have long thought that
such emphasis would also appeal to those of a formal bent...?    (012)

On your final point:    (013)

> > I would strongly urge us, however, not to be so influenced by such
> > perhaps confusing formal uses:
>
> It is the informal uses that are confused.  We have axioms to prevent
> that sort of confusion.    (014)

I am of course not alleging that the formal systems are in any way
confused or confusing in themselves.  They are of course perfectly
self-contained and self-consistent...  I was merely referring to the
observation by you and Leo (as I had understood it) that outsiders may
easily be confused by all the uses of "class" in various formal
definitions in various formal systems, much as in John's original point,
which triggered this whole discussion and vote, that "class" has so many
formal uses which can confuse people.    (015)

On your penultimate point  I have to be more controversial, though to my
great regret still rather bluntly so.  Your (and Cory's) obeisance to
RDF and OWL is touchingly optimistic regarding their future success,
though at the same time strangely pessimistic regarding the power of the
eventual product of our work.  For if we are successful with an
interoperability platform with universal usability at some generic
level, as I fervently believe we can be, encouraged as I am by the
long-standing continuity of my objectives and methods (incomplete though
the product still is...), well, then we shall all have no need of those
later W3C progeny.  Even if there were at such a future time a
significant volume of RDF/OWL legacy applications to interoperate with,
people will choose to use any new "ontology"-based platform to translate
and absorb them in - in effect - one big automated swoop.    (016)

(As I concluded my previous message: )  All that In My (not so) Humble
Opinion.
But it does at least all stand in some kind of rhetorical support of my
vote in favour of "type" rather than "class" at the basic level this
vote is all about.    (017)

Christopher    (018)