ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:09:38 +0100

>MW: From where I sit a class/set/type/category
>(the longer the concatenation the quicker people will want to pick one
>and the less they will care which) has a number of instances and a number
>of axioms, and there is no need for two objects (e.g. class and type) any
>more than a person needs to be two objects because it has arms and legs.    (01)

A type has a number of instances which together form a class.
A football team has a number of members which together form a set.
The set can change, as members join and leave, but the football team
remains identical.
Thus the set and the team are not identical.    (02)

>MW: I accept of course that there is the trivial restriction class of
>"instances of X" which can be derived from the instance_of relation, but
>that is entirely redundant as far as I can see.
>
>MW: Please explain my error.    (03)

See above. And generalize to, say, the species rabbit.
BS     (04)