ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:01:22 +0100

> > >MW: From where I sit a class/set/type/category
> > >(the longer the concatenation the quicker people will want
> > to pick one
> > >and the less they will care which) has a number of instances
> > and a number
> > >of axioms, and there is no need for two objects (e.g. class
> > and type) any
> > >more than a person needs to be two objects because it has
> > arms and legs.
> >
> > A type has a number of instances which together form a class.
> > A football team has a number of members which together form a set.
> > The set can change, as members join and leave, but the football team
> > remains identical.
> > Thus the set and the team are not identical.
>
>MW: This does not compute for me. I see a team as an individual, whose
>parts (members) may change over time. At any point in time you can identify a
>(possibly different) class (with unchanging membership) that are the
>members that are part of that team at that time (but I wouldn't generally
>find these interesting).    (01)

So you need a theory of individuals, which allows them to preserve
their identity over time, while gaining and losing parts.    (02)

>MW: I see the set of all the rabbits for all time, the sets of all rabbits
>for points or periods in time, and if you want, the aggregate of their
>spatio-temporal extents (but these are not I think so interesting in
>this case).
>All have unchanging membership/parts.    (03)

The species rabbit, then, is for you the set of all the rabbits which
ever existed, exist, or will exist.
Does it include rabbit embryos and rabbit corpses? Or detached rabbit
arms? Is there something which all its members share in common (a
type, we might call it), in virtue of which it is such an interesting
object for biologists' study?
BS     (04)