ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class -- Please vote

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Neil Sarkar <sarkar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:17:47 -0500
My vote is for "Type" as it feels to me a less ambiguous term -- class
has too many polysemic terms that can make it confusing to some folks
(e.g., class in object-oriented programming vs class in biological
taxonomy vs class in ontologies). I usually end up retranslating "class"
in ontological terms to be "type".    (01)

I guess the point here is to just be clear and use consistent
terminologies for things as we represent knowledge-- after all, we
wouldn't want the terminology for our ontology to not be consistent.    (02)

My apologies for not joining in the conversations quite yet, I've been
absorbing the conversation lines -- but, with grant season upon me, I
haven't had time for too much comment. But along the lines of setting
the terminologies, we should be careful about what terms are picked and
for what reasons (e.g., this vote for type vs class). We will probably
need to maintain a central document (via the Wiki?) that keeps track of
all the terms that we are using and their definitions-- a sort of
glossary of sorts-- which might be useful amongst ourselves as well as
to the community at large as we progress.    (03)

Best.    (04)

-Neil.    (05)