ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:39:15 -0500
Dear Matthew,    (01)

That definition does not distinguish an ontology
from a theory, description, specification, answer,
text, or many other kinds of collections of sentences
expressed in a formal language:    (02)

 > A formal ontology is a set of sentences in a formal language.    (03)

And I certainly agree with the following statement:    (04)

 > I think an ontology covers a wider range of things, and
 > the addition of "formal" clarifies what we are really
 > talking about.    (05)

But before I suggest anything further, may I ask an
embarrassing question:    (06)

    Why is it so difficult for professionals who have spent
    many years working on ontology to be able to write a
    definition of the word "ontology", which distinguishes
    it from just a theory or any other collection of
    sentences written for any other purpose under heaven?    (07)

Do you want to say that there is no difference?  Or that
for some reason, you and Chris are reluctant to mention
the purpose of this endeavor we are all engaged in?  Or
that the P-word is prohibited in definitions?  If so, why?    (08)

John    (09)