ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: "'Chris Menzel'" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:22:35 -0500
If we were to have an ontology in our lattice of ontologies, lets say
biological structure, would it change?  If another ontology depends on
biological structure would it then change?  I assume so.
Perhaps there are 2 identities here, the "slot" for the current
specification of biological structure within the CONSMO hub and the identity
of the version published on a particular date by a particular authority.
There is also the identity of the "value" of the ontology - the set of
axioms.  We should know which one we are talking about.
We can hope that the integrity of the lattice remains across versions but we
can only know the integrity of a given configuration.
Configuration management is not a new problem, but the interdependence of
axioms makes it particularly important for ontologies.  If a hub is
distributed and federated (like the semantic web) there are some unique
problems to deal with (that w3c has not addressed).
The issue I see is that with the boundaries/scope of an ontology being
arbitrary, managing this lattice will be difficult.  If the boundaries are
arbitrary, the "slots" will change just like the versions.  Dependency on a
particular version or fixed and single-dimensioned set of slots would be
inflexible and brittle.
-Cory    (01)