ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:01:32 -0600
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:15:25PM -0500, Charles D Turnitsa wrote:
> Somebody responded to Cory's question "do ontologies change over time",
> with the answer "no".  I believe that this is incorrect.      (01)

Not for the definition of "ontology" I gave.    (02)

> As an example consider:
>
>  An ontology (describing the entities and relations) defining the laws of
> physical science in 1800
>  An ontology (describing the entities and relations) defining the laws of
> physical science in 2000
>
> The ontology is concerned with the same domain (laws of physical science),
> yet the general understanding of that domain by those working within it has
> changed dramatically.  And this is over only 200 years.    (03)

Well, even apart from the account I provided, it sure seems to me that
the simplest way to characterize your example is in terms of two
ontologies -- one expressing the physics of 1800 and one expressing the
physics of 2000.  (Of course, no one ever really explicitly *formulated*
an ontology of physics in 1800, but never mind :-) Your preference is
that there be one single underlying thing -- The Ontology of Physics --
that has simply morphed and grown over time, but I think you'll be very
hard pressed to say what that thing is in clear and useful terms.  The
account I provided is clear and precise:  Change, eliminate, or add one
sentence to an ontology and you get a different ontology.  There is no
one underlying thing that changes.  What we have instead of change of
one ontology over time is a series of similar (ideally, ever more
refined) but distinct, unchanging ontologies.    (04)

Chris Menzel    (05)