ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] What is "An Ontology"?

To: "'Chris Menzel'" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion' <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:14:22 -0500
Chris,
Re: I'm confused by this talk of identities and values.  An ontology just
*is* the set of its axioms (or so sez I :-) .    (01)

This is the same as the issues in non-ontology models or even DBMS and file
systems.  The general approach is that there are values and identities.
There are also value types (like the number 5) where the identity and value
are indistinguishable - you can't change five and pointing to a particular
five is kind of meaningless.  However pointing to a particular customer
record or a file has meaning independent of the value of that record at any
particular time.  You can only refer to identifiable things.    (02)

So in one case you are equating an ontology to a value type - it IS its set
of axioms. On the other hand you talk about BiologicalOntology_ver3.4.17 -
you give that value a unique identity.  If I copied your ontology and people
had references to both mine and yours - they would be the same ontology, and
then you changed yours, they are no longer the same - oops.  Maintaining the
integrity of identity is crucial if we are going to have reliable
references.      (03)

One school of thought is that the identity of a series is made up of a
series of "snapshots".  The snapshots, while they are fixed values, can also
have identity if you are able to reference one specifically.  This series of
snapshots is what you have described below.  Source code control systems
basically implement this paradigm for file based resources.    (04)

But, I don't think equating "an ontology" to its value (the set of axioms)
is valid because it ignores identity and change over time.  Even file based
ontologies have identity (perhaps not a good identity), having these issues
worked out is something a hub must address.  I also don't think this is just
a "technical issue", it has to do with the semantics of the hub-lattice.    (05)

-Cory