Re: [ontac-forum] Muddle surrounding misuse of 'concept' and 'ontology'

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:56:38 +0200
[BS]
>As I have argued at length, e.g. in    (01)

http://ontology.buffalo.edu/bfo/Beyond_Concepts.pdf    (02)

the muddle surrounding the misuse of the term "concept" has created havoc
and waste in some of the most well-funded ontological endeavors thus far
(which are in the area of biomedicine, and centrally in what
is called the Unified Medical Language System).
>    (03)

Good article, Barry. Sincere congratulations! Still many zombyfied with this
trivial 'definition': 'a specification of a conceptualization', confusedly
ramified as:
'a theory of content', 'a system of concepts/vocabulary', 'a set of
agreements about a set of concepts', 'the representation of the semantics of
terms and their relationships', 'the class hierarchy in object-oriented
paradigm', 'a complete schema of the domain concepts', 'an
entity-relationship schema with subsumption relations between concepts',
'conceptual patterns', 'concept heterarchies or hierarchies', 'a body of
onceptualizations', 'schemata', or 'metadata scheme', 'a common set of
terms', 'a controlled vocabulary of terms', 'a representation vocabulary',
and what not.
Instead of just saying: Ontology is about Reality [the Universal Class of
all kinds of things].    (04)

Azamat    (05)