[ontac-forum] Muddle surrounding misuse of 'concept'

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:58:49 +0100

> >From a use-case point of view, it is not really interesting if the "concept"
>of rabbit existed before man, what is interesting is our success at
>communicating information and that requires sharing concepts.  To do so
>requires agreement on the concept and that implies some mechanism of
>identifying a concept and specification of that concept (even a weak form of
>specification such as examples).
>And to come back home - "class" and "type" are just terms, not the concept.    (01)

As I have argued at length, e.g. in    (02)

http://ontology.buffalo.edu/bfo/Beyond_Concepts.pdf    (03)

the muddle surrounding the misuse of the term "concept" has created
havoc and waste in some of the most well-funded ontological endeavors
thus far (which are in the area of biomedicine, and centrally in what
is called the Unified Medical Language System). I invite Cory to look
at these arguments, to see why his proposed solution is not good
enough even from a 'use-case point of view'.
BS    (04)