soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] Business Need for SOA (Was SOA Semantic Variation )

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew S. Townley" <andrew.townley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:23:59 +0100

Hi Metz,    (01)

I just wanted to address one of your points, because I believe that this
clarification is crucial to understanding where I'm coming from with
this line of thinking.    (02)

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 19:20, Metz Rebekah wrote:
> One of the largest benefits of autonomy is the ability to work
>
> co-operatively to accomplish a larger goal.  However, this "directed"
> or
>
> "cooperative autonomy" is only effective if everyone fully understands
>
> what they are supposed to do and have the ability to do it.
>
> [->] I agree with your assertion of directed vs. cooperative
> autonomy.  I believe there is a continuum between these two extremes.
> I would liken the first to the hierarchical structure of the military
> and the second to a think tank or research institution.  What we see
> though is that there are a range of organizational (community)
> structures that work in between these extremes.  My sense is that
> within those various organizational structures; not everyone fully
> understands what they are supposed to do, nor do they have the ability
> to fully do it.  Nevertheless, the overall organization can be
> successful.  Essentially, the community becomes self-healing.    (03)

Actually, in this case I was lumping them together, not separating
them.  Although, I do agree that in practice there is some difference.
However, in any hierarchical organization (that is at all successful),
there is a certain amount of delegation to people at all levels.  This
delegation also provides the context and the reasoning necessary for
action.  The results of that action may be directed if they are
delegated from someone who has a vision or goal in mind.  They may also
not provide all of the information available.  Perhaps my use of "fully"
in this case was misleading.  What I actually meant was that they have
enough information to perform the task to which they have been assigned,
but the successful completion of that task will further the goals of the
organization or individual who originally assigned it.    (04)

In my mind, the only difference between "directed autonomy" vs
"collective autonomy" is what you alluded to in your reply--dependent
vs. independent action.  However, the net results are the same because
the successful results of either directed or collective action
(hopefully) provides benefits to the community.    (05)

ast    (06)

--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.    (07)

Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is
unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any
review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this
message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies
thereof from your system.