soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] Business Need for SOA (Was SOA Semantic Variation )

To: "'Service-Oriented Architecture CoP'" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:49:45 -0500
Andrew,
Thanks for your comprehensive response, we are certainly attempting to
realize the same goals, perhaps with slightly different terminology and a
few different conclusions.  I'm going to pick out a couple of your
statements to reply to directly...

>       SOA is not about distributed objects.

Absolutely and violently agree.  It actually disturbs me that you think I
think it is, I will have to look back on the prior communications to see
where this came from.

> Just to clarify some of these key differences a bit more.  The way I see
> SOA is the environment in which a service exists.  This service can be
> big or small, but it provides the same sort of granularity, regardless
> of the business process being achieved--it is a business service.

Absolutely agree - SOA is the business architecture (where the business is
understood as providing and using business services).  This business
architecture MAY be realized with distributed objects or with an event
service or with paper flowing between in/out baskets.
We MAY map the business interactions to one of these technologies.  People
who DO think if architecture in terms of technology services are looking for
something like an Corba-IDL or WSDL interface - to map business interactions
to this paradigm we talk about "service interfaces" as the way these
paradigms MAY be used to REALIZE the SOA architecture.

> For example, you (the requester) are hungry.  Not knowing any better,
> you pull through the drive-up at McDonald's (the provider) and order a

Don't agree - the requester/provider mindset if to low-level for business
interactions - it really comes from the OO think we are both trying to rise
above.  Business interactions are inherently bi-directional, asynchronous
(as you have said) and long-lived.  Information flow may be initiated from
either side, within the constraints of the choreography of that interaction.
They are frequently complex and composed of finer grain interactions.  There
are roles in these interactions and you can frequently identify one as the
"initiator", but expecting a request/reply paradigm is not business centric.
As said above, we may MAP the business centric interaction to one or more
request/reply service interfaces.      (01)

Since you took the time to write down some great definitions I have provided
some corrections (since you said they were my definitions).

> community -- a pair of roles interacting for some purpose

community -- a set of roles interacting for some purpose    (02)

> role -- a task or responsibility within a community

role -- a logical grouping of a set of responsibilities within a community    (03)

> interaction -- the means of communication between a role

interaction -- the means of communication between actors playing roles    (04)

> community contract -- the constraints and manner of interaction between
> a pair of roles using specified service interfaces
community contract -- the purpose, constraints and manner of interactions
within a community    (05)

> Specification -- codification of a given community contract
Specification -- codification of a given contract    (06)

> SOA -- an architecture consisting of the following core elements:
>       - people and organizations
>       - roles and responsibilities
>       - interactions between roles
>       - community contract

SOA -- an architectural style for achieving collaborative work that can be
specified using a community contract containing the following core elements:
        - roles and responsibilities
        - interactions between roles
        - business rules and constraints
        - a model (or ontology) of the domain    (07)

> service interface -- a set of methods exposed by a distributed object
> (as exemplified by middleware technologies like RMI/IIOP, CORBA, DCOM,
> .NET remoting and SOAP)    (08)

This is ok, but is a possible derivative of the SOA, not the subject of the
SOA.    (09)

> collaboration -- interactions between roles to realize a business
> process
>
> integration -- the combination of all of the elements defined by the SOA
> (above) to enable a collaboration
>
> interoperability -- the level to which a role and service interface
> conform to the interaction contract of the community within a
> collaboration (implying some sort of shared context between the two
> roles)    (010)

Interoperability - the ability for business units, people or systems to
exchange information in support of a common purpose.    (011)

> There are also a few terms that I'm not sure I understand from your
> usage.
>
> agility -- this is a term which has a number of different meanings,
> depending on your context.  Can you explain to me what you mean by: "how
> things work together for a common purpose while retaining _agility_"?    (012)

Agility - the ability for new objectives, whether driven by business,
mission or technology, to be realized quickly and inexpensively.    (013)

> architecture -- I think it's the environment in which all of the above
> interactions take place, but I'm not really 100% sure from your usage.

Architecture - the design of systems; where systems may be organizational,
legal, physical, processes or processing systems.    (014)

So, now it is clear we are BOTH crazy!  I wonder if anyone else is still
listening?    (015)

-Cory    (016)