soa-forum

[soa-forum] Business Need for SOA (Was SOA Semantic Variation )

To: "'Service-Oriented Architecture CoP'" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:20:13 -0500
Andrew,
One think I suspect we can all agree on is that there are multiple
applications for SOA.  Perhaps a little more background on the kinds of
problems we are trying to solve would be appropriate, below is our focus.    (01)

Business Need; Collaboration and integration    (02)

The idea of an isolated company, organization, mission or application has
become the exception.  It is simply impractical to think of what you or your
organization offers without considering the environment in which it is
offered and performed.  Businesses have their supply chains, value chains
and business processes.  Defense has joint missions and collaborative
forces.  Applications require integration and interoperability.    (03)

In each case the problem is; how to all these things work together?  The
problems is also that how it works together is a dynamic environment as
parts and pieces get outsourced, insourced, or modified.  The problem is
also that most solutions to enabling these things to work together get tied
to particular processes, information or technologies such that it becomes
brittle and inflexible.    (04)

This is the problem we wish to address - how things work together for a
common purpose while retaining agility.  This problem exists at many levels,
from a worldwide scale where there is collaboration between countries and/or
major organizations to how people work together within a department.  These
"big" collaborations are realized by smaller and still smaller
collaborations - until you have a small group executing their specific
"business process" on their specific information to realize their part in
the larger picture.    (05)

A community may be small or large, the smallest being a pair of roles
interacting for some purpose, the most common example being a retail
purchase - buyer and seller.  But communities are often large, such as the
financial management community of a large enterprise.    (06)

Where people, organizations, missions or countries work together for a
common purpose - there must be some element of agreement, some implicit or
explicit understanding of how they are going to work together for that
purpose.  That agreement may be a simple sales agreement to a complex
multi-lateral collaboration of many parties.  We express this by saying that
people and organizations are actors playing roles with given
responsibilities within a community and they enact their common purpose by
behaving and interacting according to the contract of that community.
This is the architecture of that community.    (07)

We can also look at this community of actors playing roles as each providing
a service to the community - this is the "larger" view of service, more akin
to a business service - like maintaining a fleet of vehicles.  Thus the
architecture of the community is the business view of the "Service Oriented
Architecture".
Note: This kind of business service of an actor playing a role in a
community is related to, but not the same as the service interfaces one
finds in middleware technologies, such as web services.    (08)

Between these actors playing roles there are interactions - these
interactions are frequently bi-directional, asynchronous, choreographed and
long-lived.  They represent the "conversations" between the parties playing
the roles.  Each of these conversations generally correspond a pair of
service interfaces, one for each side of the conversation.  These service
interfaces can be instrumented in technology, and when they are, you have
provided a vehicle for that community to operate more efficiently and
openly.  You have provided a way for the "business process" of the community
to happen without any special monitor or control, but as the natural
progression of actors playing their role based on the community process.    (09)

So for us, from the perspective of a "community" the interesting
architecture is how all of these actors work together, and by extension, how
all the services work together for a business purpose.  A single service,
out of context, can provide value - but an architecture of a community of
roles and services can transform an enterprise or influence a society.    (010)

It is this kind of community we would like to demonstrate - how it can be
described, architected and realized with SOA.  The paradigm we use to do
this brings together standards based collaboration modeling (Based on
OMG-EDOC), information modeling (Based on UML) and process modeling into a
cohesive architecture for a community.    (011)

A specific example is an architecture we have just done for the GSA'a CFO
for their Financial Management Line of Business - how can GSA organize to
provide financial management services within GSA and externally.  This is
what we would consider an SAO in that it describes these communities, the
roles and interactions, the information models and processes. (You may also
consider that this is more than an SOA in that it also shows how some of the
roles are implemented, but at the top is the SOA).  This SOA does not
mention any systems, middleware or technology - it is how the business is
understood as collaborating business services.  We then derive (Using MDA),
how middleware services interfaces can help realize and implement these
communities.  There are about 60 roles and hundreds of service interfaces in
this architecture (not monolithically, they can be understood in smaller
pieces).      (012)

So, this kind of architecture for a community where the goal is to
understand how roles interact using service interfaces to achieve a common
purpose is a great way to utilize SOA.  It allows different actors,
technologies, systems and processes to be used "under the covers" to help
the actors play their role.  This kind of community simply does not function
without some agreement of this kind, without a community contract.  You
can't do "financial management" one WSDL interface at a time.    (013)

This kind of community architecture can be differentiated from applications
where a single "web service" can supply a unique capability without this
kind of context.  These, of course, exist and can provide value - it is
another application of SOA.  But the architecture here is focused on the
individual service interface, less so on the environment or community.     (014)

The demo outline we presented is a minimalist and simple community, but
intended to show this community effect based on the business need for
collaboration and integration.  You could, of course, come up with any
number of communities to demo.  Another kind of demo could be based on other
business needs or approaches to applying MDA - I think some of the other
ideas are more along this line.  Our business stakeholders should help guide
us on what kind of problem will resonate with the business community.    (015)

Regards,
Cory Casanave    (016)