RE: [ontac-forum] Type vs. Class - last chance to vote.

To: 'ONTAC-WG General Discussion' <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Elkin, Peter L., M.D." <Elkin.Peter@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:16:41 -0600
 Dear Pat,    (01)

As a computer scientist I favor Class / Subclass relations, as an Ontologist I
favor Type / Subtype relations and as a mathematician I favor Set / Subset
relations.  Perhaps we need to reconcile our perspectives before our names.
Each construct comes to us from a particular field of endeavor and we need to
understand not which to use as much as which is the Lingua-franca for formal
representation of the definitions of concepts and their associated axioms.    (02)

If the mathematical definitions that are the basis for our the lingua franca
are paramount we should use the Set / Subset notation.    (03)

If the computable version of the language is the final arbiter of truth then
Class Subclass relations make the most sense in an object oriented environment
(so not as to be confused with the usage of Types in heavily typed computing
languages).    (04)

If the philosophical and Ontological view of the universe is the correct
abstraction and it can be operationalized I would vote for the Type Subtype
relation.    (05)

Given the state of the political universe, I do wonder if all interests can be
equally represented in any such decision.    (06)

Inquisitively yours,    (07)

Peter    (08)

Peter L. Elkin, MD
Professor of Medicine