ontac-dev

RE: Categorization (was RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes)

To: "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:04:00 -0500
Barry,
While I hesitate to disagree with you in this domain, that doesn't seem to
hold up.      (01)

You may define a set by rule; the set of all furry animals.
Or, by enumerating membership; {green, blue, rock}    (02)

You may define a type by rule; containers of food
Or by enumerating membership DaysOfWeek = {Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... }    (03)

You may perform set operations on the extent of types and may mix sets and
types in the same set operations - and doing so may define a set or a type.    (04)

Simply by being a member of a set, instances can now satisfy a new predicate
(memberOf set).  Many feel that a type is defined by such predicates.    (05)

While I am not suggesting they are the same thing, this would suggest that
the relation between sets and types to their members/extent is the same
relation.  I still struggle with the difference, other than type being
intent to define a conceptual grouping rather than an arbitrary grouping.    (06)

-Cory    (07)