ontac-dev

RE: Categorization (was RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes)

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 11:07:08 -0000
Dear Chuck,    (01)

See below.    (02)

> I don't wish to steal Chris' thunder, however I have a few
> comments below .
> . .
>

> ontac-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/03/2006 04:55:39 AM:
>
> > Dear Chris,

> > > mathematical
> > >
> > > More exactly, I think: the instance_of relation between
> > > things and types
> > > is a different relation from the membership relation between
> > > things and
> > > sets.
> > >
> > I asked this question before and didn't get an answer. Could
> > you explain please what the difference is between the instance_of
> > relation and the membership relation?
>
>  This only works if we see the relation between Types and Instances as
> being the "instance_of" - i.e. the traditional view of a Type within a
> formal language (all instances inherit the properties and
> concepts of their
> parent type, yet are distinct from each other in some way, etc).
>
>  A set, however, if we are thinking of a set from set theory,
> is not bound
> by any such rules.  It MAY have such rules in place (all
> members of the Set
> "fruit" share the concept of fruitiness).  Or it may be something
> completely different (the set {apple, sock, Memorization,
> Brazil} has no
> real clear domain-inspired (natural order, etc) type that all the sets
> members are instances of.    (03)

MW: You are talking about the different nature of the things that
membership is of, not of the nature of the membership/instance_of relationship
itself in these two circumstances.    (04)

MW: Noone has yet been able to explain the difference (or even offer an
explanation) though more than one has asserted a difference. I am simply
seeking enlightenment.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (07)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)