ontac-dev

RE: Categorization (was RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes)

To: "'Chris Menzel'" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321'" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:58:52 -0500
Chris & Matthew,
As for "Well, non-futurist anyway, but yes.  And again, these are
*philosophical* predilections that, from my perspective, at most serve
as a starting point for ontological engineering.  I'd readily shun them
for purposes of ontological engineering should positing entities that I
consider philosophical fictions prove more useful."    (01)

I don't think I'm a 4 dimensionalist and I think I am quite grounded in
wanting to solve real problems with real technologies,  yet the more general
interpretation of extent seems logically correct. If a predicate defining a
type qualifies something in the future, that thing is in the extent.  It
would seem to be a bad idea to explicitly "lock" an extent to the real world
right now.  So if you say the extent is all possible instances in all time,
this would seem consistent.  Now, such an extent is not so useful and in
most cases is not knowable, but restrictions of it would be - such as the
restriction of an extent in the real world as of NOW.  There is no reason
not to have the "general" extent and qualified subsets defined in COSMO.      (02)