ontac-dev

Re: Categorization (was RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes)

To: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:02:09 -0600
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:18:14AM -0000, West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321 wrote:

> > > MW: The 4D position is to say there is some way things will
> > > turn out.
> >
> > A plausible but not uncontroversial view.
> >
> > > So there is just one set of all rabbits that have or will
> > > ever exist.
> >
> > That, of course, a non sequitur.  It is plausible, for example, to
> > think that (a small piece of) the way things will turn out is that a
> > child will be born on 1 January 2007.  It simply does not follow
> > that there is something such that it will be born on 1 January 2007
> > (hence it doesn't follow that there is a set containing all the
> > humans that have or will exist).
>
> MW: You of course are showing your presentist predelictions when you say
> that (as you are entitled to).    (01)

Well, non-futurist anyway, but yes.  And again, these are
*philosophical* predilections that, from my perspective, at most serve
as a starting point for ontological engineering.  I'd readily shun them
for purposes of ontological engineering should positing entities that I
consider philosophical fictions prove more useful.    (02)

> > Your more general argument above, in a nutshell, is that the Barcan
> > Formula is true for the future (and past) tense operators:
> >
> >   If it will be that something is F, then there is something that will
> >   be F.
> >
> > This is a natural principle to accept *if* you are already inclined to
> > accept merely future individuals.  But to argue for your merely future
> > individuals simply on the grounds that the Barcan Formula valid as you
> > have above is to put the logical cart before the philosophical horse.
> > You've *chosen* this particular poison; one can just as reasonably
> > choose not to indulge.
>
> MW: I notice that it is necessary to choose one poison or another.    (03)

I hardly think that choosing not to drink of that cup is to simply to
choose a different poison, but point taken. :-)    (04)

> > > MW: Following this, the set of all rabbits that have ever existed
> > > or will ever exist has the same members, even before there were
> > > rabbits.  Of course before there were rabbits, we are not likely
> > > to be interested in them, but that is a different matter.
> >
> > Well, of course, I do *understand* the view.  I simply find it, once
> > again, philosophically repugnant -- though, again, I am inclined to
> > think it is a useful fiction for purposes of ontological engineering.
>
> MW: Well I'm an engineer first, so I tend to put a high value on utility.    (05)

Me too, in an engineering context.    (06)

-chris    (07)