soa-forum

Re: [sicop-forum] [soa-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew S. Townley" <ast@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:27:20 +0000
Agree that we mostly agree. :)    (01)

Apologies if I got off track a little, but it wasn't clear to me from
your first posting that you weren't talking about concrete
implementations.  Again, I think we're struggling with agreement on the
meaning of words, not necessarily that the concepts we're trying to
explain are that different.  I suppose this means that there's going to
be a fair bit of work to be done before there's any level of wide
agreement on any proposed ontology for SOA.    (02)

Standardizing on a fixed ontology too soon may hamper people's ability
to put SOA into their own particular context, but not doing it soon
enough clearly makes it difficult for people to effectively
communicate.  I'm not really sure where we are on this particular
spectrum, but it seems to me, based on the people I've talked to, that
while a lot of people are talking about SOA and trying to figure out
what it really means to them, I'm not sure there's enough consensus yet
to build an effective and widely accepted ontology based on common
understanding.  Thus far the attempts of defining an ontology don't seem
to be getting enough traction, regardless of the source.  Maybe the
timing isn't yet right.  Again, this is essentially the argument of
"standard" vs. "specification".    (03)

I realize this line of thinking doesn't advance the original topic too
much, but I think it's a point that's necessary to acknowledge.    (04)

Happy Holidays,    (05)

ast    (06)