soa-forum

Re: [sicop-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:20:44 -0500
 > definitions of SOA are currently broadening to the point where they
 > are not particularly useful any more.    (01)

The same debate raged in the 90's as to the 'real' meaning of 'object'.
Of course the term is just as ambigious in everyday life where the term
originated and where it means quite different things at different levels
of granularity (subatomic, atomic, molecular, biological, astronomical,
etc).    (02)

Seems to me we could add a lot of clarity by specifying what level of
granularity "service" is being applied to. The article applies it at the
enterprise level so service = an organizational capabilitiy.    (03)

Several levels below that is the application level, where it means a
network-resident computer program; the meaning most technical folk have
in mind. Below that are the POJO objects from which applications are
usually composed these days (locally accessible objects that are not on
the network).    (04)

PS: I once tried to get traction on applying hardware engineering
terminology in software but that never caught on. Gate-level objects =
plain C functions, chip-level = C++/Java objects, card-level = SOA
services, and so forth. So it goes...    (05)

Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP    (01)