soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] [sicop-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:47:29 -0500
Andrew,

As I said, this is a draft, so I am open to what things are named.

What I think is important is to separate the idea of the business services for which the underlying capabilities exist outside of SOA from the connectivity provided by SOA.  There are two reasons for this:

1.  I think it is important to emphasize that if one does not have a solution to a problem without SOA, it is unlikely SOA will provide a miracle.  SOA provides a potentially effective connectivity mechanisms, but there needs to be things to connect and other connectivity options may be more appropriate for a given problem.

2.  When we talk about SOA, we focus on what SOA is supposed to provide and do not conflate the business elements of the solution.  This separation of concerns should lead to better design and development of the separate pieces.

I need to reread WSA but I don't remember the separation I propose to be in conflict.

Ken