soa-forum

Re: [sicop-forum] [soa-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Chris Harding <c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:51:49 +0000
Hi -    (01)

Thanks, Brad! We are at this stage trying to address services in
general, whether provided by people, by IT, or by a combination (or
in some other way). We would not wish to assume any particular
granularity. Further subclassifications of service might do this and,
as you suggest, might add clarity - but we are not addressing them at
this point.    (02)

At 14:20 21/12/2006, Brad Cox, Ph.D. wrote:
> [...]
>>Indeed, this makes the ontology perfectly suitable for modeling any
>>application stovepipe and fails to explain why efforts at
>>interoperability, in fact at the information-hiding aspects of
>>services at all, are important.
>>It would certainly be very interesting to learn whether this
>>omission is deliberate or represents an intermediate stage of
>>ontology development. It might also be a good topic for SICoP
>>discussion. There is some question whether definitions of SOA are
>>currently broadening to the point where they are not particularly
>>useful any more.
>>Regards,
>>Joshua Lieberman
>>Principal, Traverse Technologies Inc.
>>mailto:jlieberman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>tel +1 (617) 395-7766
>>fax: +1 (815) 717-981
>>
>>On Dec 21, 2006, at 5:16 AM, Chris Harding wrote:
>>
>>>Hello -
>>>
>>>The Open Group is developing a formal ontology for SOA, and we have
>>>now reached the stage where we have a draft that we would like to
>>>share with other organizations that are working on SOA, in order to
>>>obtain feedback and comment. We believe that a common ontology for
>>>SOA can be a very valuable resource for everyone to use, and we
>>>therefore wish to receive input from as wide a constituency as possible.
>>>
>>>I think that this will be of interest to the SICoP as well as the
>>>SOACoP, and we would appreciate input from both groups. This call for
>>>input is going to both lists, and we would appreciate comments from
>>>all members of them, either directly to me (c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>>>or to one or both of the lists. (Comments to both lists will generate
>>>the best debate!)
>>>
>>>The current draft is draft 0.6 and is available from our web page at
>>>http://www.opengroup.org/projects/soa-ontology/ together with some
>>>simple example ontologies that import it. Perhaps the best starting
>>>point is the presentation at
>>>http://www.opengroup.org/projects/soa-ontology/doc.tpl?gdid=12153
>>>which I delivered at the recent OMG meeting. This explains the
>>>ontology and how we think it will be used.
>>>
>>>We will produce a new draft in January, and will address the comments
>>>in that draft.
>>>
>>>All the best for Christmas and the New Year!
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>+++++
>>>
>>>========================================================================
>>>Dr. Christopher J. Harding
>>>Forum Director for SOA and Semantic Interoperability
>>>THE OPEN GROUP
>>>Thames Tower, 37-45 Station Road, Reading RG1 1LX, UK
>>>Mailto:c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Phone (mobile): +44 774 063 1520
>>>http://www.opengroup.org
>>>
>>>Enterprise Architecture Practitioners Conference
>>>Marriott Mission Valley, San Diego, CA, January 29 - 31, 2007
>>>Member Meetings: January 29 - February 2, 2007

Regards,    (04)

Chris

http://www.opengroup.org    (06)

Enterprise Architecture Practitioners Conference
Marriott Mission Valley, San Diego, CA, January 29 - 31, 2007
Member Meetings: January 29 - February 2, 2007
<http://www.opengroup.org/sandiego2007/>http://www.opengroup.org/sandiego2007/
TOGAF is a trademark of The Open Group      (07)

Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP    (08)