soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] [sicop-forum] The Open Group SOA Ontology

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice <sicop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew S. Townley" <ast@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:23:27 +0000
Hi Ken,    (01)

With references back to Brad's granularity discussion, I still find the
idea of the W3C WSA's abstract and concrete services very useful in
practice when you're trying to address the ideas of interoperability,
QoS and functionality vs. a particular implementation of that
functionality.  I'm not that big on a lot of the rest of the document,
but I think this is very good once you are talking about implementing a
business service as an IT deliverable.    (02)

However, I don't think "SOA service" is the best name for what you've
described.  I'm not too sure what is at the moment, but I'll give it a
bit more thought.  Off the top of my head, maybe "IT service" or
"technology service" or something like that.  Like I said, I'll give it
more thought, but I don't think there's a clear enough link from "SOA
service" to "IT artifact" based on many of the underlying assumptions in
people's heads about what SOA means to them, based on where they are and
what they're trying to do with it.    (03)

I think it's also fair to say that things like QoS metrics can also be
applied to people-oriented or at least interactive human/machine
business processes as well, e.g. "The turnaround for a customer callback
after receiving a support request email must be within 1 hour", so I'm
not sure that's a sufficient enough differentiator either.  In the above
case, if there's not enough people to support the volume of calls,
you're going to add more people, not technology to improve the QoS of
the business service.  I know you know this, but I think it's important
to reiterate.    (04)

However, I do agree that there needs to be a good way to determine where
the line is between the abstract and the concrete IT implmentation based
on some agreed definition.  I'm just not sure that you'll get much
traction with "SOA service".    (05)

I haven't had a chance to look at the ontology yet, but I hope to get a
chance to do this over the Christmas break.    (06)

Cheers,    (07)

ast    (08)

--
Andrew S. Townley <ast@xxxxxxxxxxxx>