Re: [ontac-forum] Re: The world may fundamentally be inexplicable [Note

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Arun Majumdar <arun@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:27:32 -0500
Hi,    (01)

I want to throw in a general reference to review the Theory of
Instituions {Joseph Goguen}  (which I have mentioned before, but not
received any comment) --- all the various ontologies (large or small)
will have an implicit logical form and we need to interoperate by
getting traction through an inter-theory and I believe Institutions can
supply as much as they have been successful elsewhere --- so in that
regards, we may wish to maintain lighter but more diverse ontologies yet
have bigger ones in specialized domains.    (02)

I am not committed to large or small per se but to the issues of
characterzing interoperability (in the large) while trying to find a way
to determine what *balance* of terms/concepts/ontologies in some for of
metric is optimal --- this is a hard problem --- but I think some of the
category theoretic work goes some ways to addressing these issues and
helping to determine when an ontology can and may be extended without
bundling it as a "single" hub but as diverse smaller hubs.    (03)

Again, for all my thought is to look at Theory of Institutions as an
adjunct to our ongoing discussions.    (04)

Thanks,    (05)

-Arun    (06)