RE: [ontac-forum] Re: The world may fundamentally be inexplicable

To: "'ONTAC-WG General Discussion'" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Murray Altheim' <m.altheim@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:39:01 -0500
John,
We may or may not be aligned;    (01)

* I am not assuming our hub is small, on the contrary - I would hope to
amass a large library of terms and concepts that can be a grounding point
for a large number of domains and theories.  I would also hope it is
designed to be extended.  This will make the hub accessible to a large
number of people.  Now, that hub may have a core set of concepts that is
small.  How small is for another thread.  Murray's requirements seem sound -
even the core should have layers.    (02)

* I don't know that this group, now, has to deal with how to relate to other
hubs, we need our hub (This does not assume that such a hub is not build
on/from existing work).      (03)

* Do we (in this community) need the lattice of theories now?  If this is
the same as context/modularization - probably yes. If this is "Information
Flow Framework" style integration between logics, I'm not so sure.  I think
the IFF integration of logics is great work in a theoretical state, but we
can make a local hub (even a modular one) without it.  I have not been sure
how far the lattice extends.    (04)

So if our hub is multi-faceted in some way, it is "multiple hubs" from some
perspective but the aggregation of them is still "our hub" and thus can fit
within whatever paradigm we assign to it - possibly a single logic.  Our use
cases (still to be defined) will define the scope and requirements of the
hub.    (05)

As for natural language - not a big concern of mine for my use cases, but
perhaps it is for some.
iDoHaveAFundimentalObjectionToNotBeingaABleToHaveRealPhrasesAsTerms.    (06)

I have a very pragmatic approach to this and need for it, so perhaps I come
from a somewhat different angle than some.    (07)

-Cory Casanave