RE: [ontac-forum] Re: The world may fundamentally be inexplicable

To: "'ONTAC-WG General Discussion'" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:06:46 -0500
John,
The way you state it, the answer is obvious.  However ...    (01)

This "community" can certainly have a set of ontological terms and concepts
that it agrees on and works with.  Thus specific ontologies and tools can be
built around it.  This, of course, assumes some process and management in
the community to do so.    (02)

Community subscribers can certainly build ontologies and tools that are
grounded in that set of terms and concepts, thus making it a "local hub".
Various capabilities, political, economic and theoretical factors can help
such a community grow and have reason to build on such a local hub.    (03)

The set of ontological terms and concepts will certainly be of much broader
interest if it has mechanisms of modularization/context/facets (pick your
favorite term) to allow it to integrate formally unrelated theories and
domains.  We seem to be in broad agreement that this is both desirable and
possible.    (04)

Given such a "local hub" it is certainly possible to form relationships with
other hubs, such that knowledge grounded in those hubs is then fully or
partially grounded in the local hub through inference.      (05)

Such a local hub with the capabilities of modularization/context/facets
related to other hubs and with a library of specific tools and ontologies,
and with a managing sponsor such as the government, could well become <very
popular> and thus have a substantial impact on the integration of currently
unrelated knowledge. The "local hub" could eventually have a very wide scope
of "local" - success through adoption.    (06)

So, the pursuit of a "local hub", which is as "universal" as we can make it,
may have substantial benefit even if it is not the one, true, cosmic and
universal answer.  We don't need agreement outside of this community; we
need success at providing a compelling capability in a supportive community
ecosystem.    (07)

-Cory    (08)