RE: [ontac-forum] COSMO Working Group -- sign up!

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:20:30 +0100
Dear Pat,    (01)

See below.    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (04)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

<snip>
> One suggestion I am making is to start by trying to formalize the top
> levels of three or four classifications that are not already linked to
> an upper ontology.   One of the possibilities I have begun to broach
> with other members of the COSMO-WG is for us to start by
> finding formal
> definitions, using one or more upper ontologies, for the semantic
> relations in the UMLS semantic network.      (06)

MW: What is this? Where is it available?    (07)

> As it turns out, Olivier
> Bodenreider, one of the COSMO-WG members, said that he is actually
> gearing up to do just that:
>
> [OB]
> >> Lowell Vizenor and I are in the process of re-analyzing
> the SN (both
>
> >> semantic types and relations) and to align it with upper-level
> >> ontologies, particularly BFO and DOLCE. This work is just about to
> start.
>
>   I don't know yet whether the way he intends to proceed will allow
> close collaboration, or even whether he is willing to share
> his results
> in real time so we can avoid diverging on the upper ontology.  But I
> hope that this can be one part of the initial COSMO-WG effort.  There
> are other reasons for using DOLCE and BFO, as well as OpenCyc
> and SUMO.    (08)

MW: I would hope to add ISO 15926 to this list.    (09)

> If we can find the time to try aligning the UMLS SN with all 4
> ontologies, it could provide us with an indication of the
> difficulty --
> perhaps impossibility -- of finding relations among these upper
> ontologies at the top levels.  But this alone would not be, I think,
> impressive enough to change any minds.  What I would hope is that, in
> addition to the formalization of the UMLS-SN, we could also try to
> align the top levels of the US FEA-RMO and some part of the FEA-DRM,
> and some high-level portion of the US-DoD Core Taxonomy with at least
> one of the upper ontologies, not necessarily all 4.  I don't think we
> can muster enough time for all this work, but it would be a
> goal toward
> which we might aim.  And Brand Niemann is under pressure to
> support the
> FEA-DRM effort, soon.    (010)

MW: As some of you know I am currently running a major project to
develop a corporate data model (aka ontology) for Shell's Downstream
(after the oil is out of the ground) business. This is using ISO 15926
as its foundation ontology.    (011)

ordinatin
gWG
--     (012)