ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:45:51 -0500
Matthew,
I can see how you got where you are.  While identity is critical,
considering what it really means is "interesting".  I can certainly see
concluding an identity is process.      (01)

I have been using a somewhat different, but probably not incompatible view
where identity is a fundamental concept, that identity may have related
processes - it could be a process, have processes or have a role in
processes.  An identity could also have a (3d) state as well as a (4d)
lifetime.  So the key here is more "has a" than "is a".  I would also
consider a "concept" to have identity, and this is not clearly a process.    (02)

This identity is then the binding element between processes and state and is
probably the same as "continuant" as used on this list.  While I can see the
philosophy behind it, requiring an identity to be a process makes a
commitment that may be more than I am comfortable with right now.    (03)

How does this fit?
-Cory    (04)