ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:55:39 -0000
Dear Cory,    (01)

> Matthew,
> So is this concept of process subsume the idea of identity?
> That is, is
> everything that continues over time a "process" or can there
> be "things"
> with identity that are not process?      (02)

MW: That's a good question. Ontologically, I'm inclined to think
everything is a process, but some processes have a structure we
consider to be physical objects. So Mt Everest looks like a pretty
solid physical object on our timescale, but on a geological
timescale it is a wave in the earth's crust. A grain of sand looks
pretty inert, but inside there are atoms vibrating in a lattice.    (03)

MW: Epistemologically, that these things may be true is usually
not interesting, except perhaps in the case of living things.    (04)

> Does a process have identity?    (05)

MW: In 4D certainly. A process has a spatio-temporal extent, and
the identity of all objects in 4D (in our version at least) is
extensional.    (06)