ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:34:20 -0500

>MW: The problem saying that every type IS a set (Barry actually says
>every type HAS a set - at a point in time) is that as a type some may
>have changing membership, yet sets essentially have unchanging membership.
>    (01)

Every type has an extension, and for process types this extension is
unique. For continuant types (e.g. the type rabbit) the issue is
whether we define extension to mean: set of all rabbits NOW, or set
of all rabbits WHICH ever existed. In the former case the extension
of the type clearly has changing membership. In the latter case not.    (02)

BS     (03)