soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] RE: Definitions of SOA

To: Chris Harding <c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, soa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:57:03 -0400

On May 8, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Chris Harding wrote:

Hi -

[snip]

For those from OASIS that have pointed to the OASIS Reference Model and its definition, we did have a draft of that model as part of our input, together with other definitions from other sources. We don't in any way wish to minimise the value of that work (and I would encourage any readers of this mail who have not already read it to do so). But, from our particular perspective, we came up with something slightly different, hopefully not as regards the basic concepts, but as regards the words in which they are described.

Without meaning to belabor the point, I hope you've looked at the Committee Draft (mid-Dec 2005) or later because the definition of "service" and the description of SOA underwent many radical rewrites as we considered numerous issues and perspectives.  If you saw one of the drafts before that, it may not significantly resemble the stable version.

Ken

---
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508