soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] RE: Definitions of SOA

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ken Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>, soa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Chris Harding <c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 15:57:22 +0100
Hi -    (01)

Andras, you are absolutely on track. However, for the benefit of the folk
on the soa-forum list, who will not be familiar with inner Open Group
workings, I think we should clarify the basis of this discussion, and
perhaps also limit its scope.    (02)

The purpose of The Open Group's work on a definition of SOA was to clarify
our understanding of what SOA is, as an aid to developing our SOA Work
Program.  We (very logically) took the view that, before launching various
SOA related activities, we should understand (a) what SOA is, and (b) what
value The Open Group can bring to it. As you point out, any Open Group
activities in this area must contribute to The Open Group's mission - to
drive the creation of Boundaryless Information Flow. (For those not
familiar with The Open Group, see http://www.opengroup.org/ for who we are
and what we mean by Boundaryless Information Flow.)    (03)

I circulated the basic definition of SOA that we in The Open Group came up
with to the Service-Oriented Architecture CoP list
(soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) in response to a mail sent by Cory containing
the draft OMG definition. I thought that this was a natural and useful
contribution to the thread. It was not my intention to claim any kind of
special validity or superior status for The Open Group definition. One of
the major strengths of the English language is that different definitions
for the same term can coexist. I'm not going to insist on the precedence of
the Concise Oxford Dictionary, for example, any more than I expect Andras
to insist on Chambers. There are and will continue to be many different
definitions of SOA, and the SOACoP will hopefully find value in comparing
and contrasting them - and perhaps also in picking holes and making
improvements.    (04)

For those from OASIS that have pointed to the OASIS Reference Model and its
definition, we did have a draft of that model as part of our input,
together with other definitions from other sources. We don't in any way
wish to minimise the value of that work (and I would encourage any readers
of this mail who have not already read it to do so). But, from our
particular perspective, we came up with something slightly different,
hopefully not as regards the basic concepts, but as regards the words in
which they are described.    (05)

As to producing a better Open Group definition or, as I think we should
move on to now, building on it in other Open Group work, it will be more
appropriate to do this within The Open Group than on
soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If the SOACoP decides to develop its own
definition of SOA, then I'm sure that Open Group members who are also
members of the SOACoP will be happy to contribute, and The Open Group will
be happy for its definition of SOA to be an input.    (06)

At 14:15 08/05/2006, Andras Szakal wrote:
> [...]
>text message: andras1@xxxxxxxxx
>email: aszakal@xxxxxxxxxx
>

>              Ken Laskey
>              <klaskey@xxxxxxxx
>              g>                                                         To
>                                        Service-Oriented Architecture CoP
>              05/06/2006 01:03          <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>              AM                                                         cc
>                                        Andras Szakal/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,
>                                        "Chris Harding"
>                                        <c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob
>                                        Cardwell
>                                        <RCardwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>                                        soa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: [soa-forum] RE: Definitions of
>                                        SOA
>

>Any interesting thread and certainly one that has occurred in numerous
>places at numerous times.  Again, I'd like to point you to the SOA-RM,
>currently going through final editing to incorporate comments from its
>60-day public review.  The PR version can be downloaded from
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/soa-rm/download.php/16628/wd-soa-rm-pr1.pdf
>.  It is relatively short and provides compact descriptions of both SOA and
>service.  As a reference model, it contains a minimum number of concepts
>(such as service in the singular) from which more advanced concepts (e.g. a
>combination of several services) can be readily derived.  So far it has
>been found to be fairly robust acting as a basis for the continuing work in
>SOA reference architecture.  As one of the editors, I'm not exactly
>impartial, but for those who haven't seen it, I think it is worth the read.
>
>Back to occasional lurking,
>
>Ken
>
>On May 5, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Charles Mosher wrote:
>
>       This could be addressed by generalizing the definition of "customer"
>       and
>       "client" to include customers and clients within the organization, as
>       well as without.  And I agree; it is often such internal customers
>       that
>       first see the need and ROI for a service-based approach to the
>       integration of company systems.
>
>       I did notice that the concept of service partitioning, i.e., various
>       specializations of services from the higher level business
>       process/functional level (perform credit check) to the lower level
>       (retrieve customer record) is hard to describe with the layers as
>       they
>       are depicted.  In particular, services which can uniformly serve up
>       data
>       (semantically and structurally mediated and rationalized) to business
>       services that are built on top of them are likely an important first
>       step to realizing a SOA system.  These fundamental services are not
>       really represented in this architecture, where such detail is
>       relegated
>       to the standards/implementation layer.  There is the "thinking about
>       services throughout" admonition, which perhaps ameliorates this

Regards,    (08)

Chris