soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] RE: Definitions of SOA

To: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>, "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Rob Cardwell <RCardwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Harding <c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, soa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 07:51:50 -0600

TOG stands for?    (01)

The OASIS SOA reference model builds a conceptual foundation for viewing
services as events, having consequences and being embedded in real world
effects.  All to often, our current technology sees services as isolated
point-to-point financial transactions.  Another way to describe existing
technology is that the information model is static, and lacking of a process
model.    (02)

The industry is not enamored with OASIS because its work is focusing on how
to overcome very well understood features, such as not having process
models.  The alternative is well funded and entrenched, but may not be
getting the job done?    (03)

The difference of opinion is very large, and should not be minimized; for
example, the OASIS SOA RM makes a clear statement in several sections that
there are boundaries between service providers and service consumers.  These
statements recognize the real life social science and produces an
information theory that is complex in the sense defined by Robert Rosen and
others, ie that a system cannot be complex if it is computational.    (04)

The recently approved OASIS BCM (Business Centric Methodology) is consistent
with the SOA RM and with a number of other collective works at OASIS,
including at least FERA, SOA-IM. SOA-CS.  So there is a growing body of work
to guide a transformation.    (05)

How BCM deals with boundaries is in the community orientation where
technology is used to facilitate the development of blueprints (from
templates and fillers) (sometimes mediated by ontology) for the offering of
choices to humans or human community.  The "boundary" is present when human
make choices.    (06)

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/ontologyMapping/55.htm    (07)

The OASIS SOA RM holds out the possibility that a more simple minded notion
of service will be replaced by something that our society desperately needs.    (08)

In order for our society to receive the types of services from the Internet
they now seek in the real world; the IT industry may need to re-orient their
thinking.    (09)

Just a suggestion.    (010)