soa-forum

Re: [soa-forum] RE: Definitions of SOA

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Rob Cardwell <RCardwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Harding <c.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, soa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andras Szakal <aszakal@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 07:18:48 -0700
As a fellow member of the OASIS SOA-RM TC with Ken, I also suggest
having a look at the Reference Model, and keep in mind that we are
moving on to developing a somewhat more concrete but still highly
abstract reference architecture capable of supporting multiple models
for specific reference architectures. Since I also work with a
collaboratory that is developing an ongoing Semantic Interoperabiity
Architecture pilot which embodies a Service-Oriented Architecture
and, hence, a reference architecture instance demonstrating
aggregated web services in the emergency management and health
informatics domains, I can attest that the scope of our work in this
reference model is suitable for inter and intra enterprise
application of SOA principles. I think it is the applicability of
these principles, rather than specific architectural styles, which
makes the SOA conceptual framework compelling.    (01)

Having worked with these concepts for a while now, I am a bit
concerned that the marketing engines of the major players in this
arena are primed to spread a lot of smoke around, so anywhere we can
achieve clarity without having our crispness tied to a specific, let
alone proprietary technology, whether that is an endorsement of an
architectural style such as WSDL & SOAP-based web services versus
REST and AJAX or a focus within or outside the organizational
boundaries, I think we better serve ourselves and the marketplace.    (02)

Cheers,
Rex    (03)

--
Rex Brooks