soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] Next level

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:35:44 -0600

Somehow the issue of "capacity of the modeling approach" is missed (over and
over again).    (01)

Fact:  SOA cannot now be implemented in a way that is open to normal human
interaction.    (02)

Claim: this is not a technical issue, it is a design issue (IT has been
designing the wrong type of human computer interfaces and is resisting
change).    (03)

The model driven approach from OMG has to assume an authority role and this
authority role is delegated to IT community.  The effort to delegate to the
user communities is not made and is (deemed) too hard.  But it is too hard
because the IT community resists this effort (and because the issues are
really hard - when defined by the first school).    (04)

This difficulty might be by-passed with a second school approach ... but
this comment is theory until proven.    (05)

In a perfect world origin of design delegated to the current IT community
would not work because of the capacity of the modeling approach (ie UML
type)    (06)

If we move to OWL type modeling the situation is remarkably better, and
perhaps (following the lead of BioPAX - as I have pointed out before)
PERHAPS SOA with ontology mediated orchestration and service discovery might
be demonstrable (but is there anyone here that feels they have the ability
to demo that SOA capacity?)  Top Quadrant could do it if they spent the
required resources ... (I guess).    (07)

I know that the position of several (Cory and Joe) will be ... well we
cannot do anything "over the horizon".  This is a volunteer group.  etc    (08)

But this "over the horizon constraint" is an assertion on Cory's and Joe's
part; and not necessarily what this SOA CoP community might wish to do.    (09)

Any comments?    (010)

Andrew's proposal and his layout of a "collaborative approach to scenario
building" might be explored a little more.    (011)

I apologize because my comments are (in fact) disruptive of what would be
occurring otherwise, but I just feel that industry has many examples of
shallow SOA implementation which do not address "any" of the core knowledge
elicitation and knowledge management issues - as is done in the OASIS BCM
specification.    (012)

It is not, in my opinion, that we can not move forward with something new;
but that we are not moving forward with something new.    (013)

How do we move forward rather than idling?    (014)