soa-forum

[soa-forum] proposed futures of SOA wiki and forum

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@xxxxxx>, "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:59:28 -0600

Over the past two months, there has been a vetting of the issues, in a most
complete fashion in the CIO Council's SOA CoP e-forum.    (01)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AnnouncementofSOACoP    (02)

The core assumption that we, forum members, make is that the marketplace
already has SOA deployment examples, from which the SOA CoP would like to
stand up a transparent and simple example, so as to make clear SOA (Service
Oriented Architecture) principles.    (03)

But in real life, SOA principles vary and the variations lead into
technology dependant implementations.  Once dependant on a specific
technology/standard or a specific specification then it is often the case
that government interest in a specific technology/standard will have, de
facto, selected a winner.  Historical evidence may be that RDF/OWL was so
selected over Topic Maps (in the period 1999 - 2001).    (04)

However, our forum (SAO CoP) has properly vetted the issue of fairness to
alternatives.  (I claim.)    (05)

The participants of the SOA CoP forum understands our core assumption about
(US federal) government interest in a common, simnple example/demostration
of SOA principles.  There is a recomendation (copied below) that an
agreement be made that the simplest SOA be specified so that that
specification can be demonstrated/simulated.  I second that recomendation.    (06)

A demo should be developed in accordance with your suggestions (as you have
the greatest understanding of these active in this discussion, with valued
input from Andrew and Joe.)    (07)

Additional recomendation:    (08)

I suggest, on behalf of myself and others, that a SOA CoP subcommittee also
be formed with the mission to map out the possible future developments in
the SOA and ontology mediated SOA domains.  This subcommittee should have a
separate forum and should be futures oriented.    (09)

The "futures of SOA" forum would focus on "beyond the horizon" efforts....
and would be supported by a wiki.    (010)

We propose that the Federal (US) CIO Council provide (1) a wiki, (2)
visibility to the forum, (3) exposure to results (presentations) developed
by forum groups; so that we might be able to develop a forward looking
exposure of what is "next".    (011)

Valid topics would be    (012)

1) SOA implementation methodology
2) compatibility between standards supporting SOA
3) XML acceleration techniques, marshaling and un-marshaling techniques
4) ontology interface to orchestration and service discovery
5) community and individual visualization of conceptualization of service
webs    (013)

In a standad e-forum, such as this one (SOA CoP), it is difficult to
preserve the knowledge exchanged by individuals, but the wiki resource could
do this.    (014)

Several members, of the SOA CoP forum, have been working on a wiki
architecture that starts out by seeding a "shell" wiki with a set of
phrases/terms and then allowing members to make modifications to the
information on each page.  Alternative viewpoints could be exposed along
with the mainstream viewpoints.  A core team would have editing capability
until the wiki is stable, and then the wiki is made available for open
editing.    (015)

(A spec on this wiki based conceptualization of a domain of discourse is
being prepared.)    (016)

If we can agree to the OASIS BCM as the fondational methdology standard,
this would be helpful.  But comments and viewpoints regarding BCM should be
asked for and discussed.    (017)

www.businesscentricmethodology.com    (018)

The OASIS TC working on a SOA methodology (Business Centric Methodology)
produced a model having four layers, the bottom one being
"conceptualization".  A CIO Council sponsored "futures of SOA" wiki could
have as its mission the development of the community conceptualizations
about SOA, now and into the future.    (019)

This might be done with less effort than in producing a demo, and when done
in parallel to producing a demo would allow the community (the federal space
in particular) to see the demo and to also see the first part of a
methodology guiding    (020)

1) conceptualization
2) the formation of a common substrate for description of "services" within
a community
3) the issues related to "extension" from some existing "service web" to new
or other "service webs"
4) the (finally) informed implementation efforts needed for extending or
establishing for the first time membership within an evolving and dynamic
"service web".    (021)

So in summary:  I do not feel a need to question the specifics of any demo
that the active participants of the SOA CoP forum wish to define. The issues
have been fully vetted.    (022)

I am proposing that the CIO Council sponsor and give exposure to a "futures
of SOA: eforum AND wiki.    (023)

this email is posted also at:    (024)

http://www.secondschool.net/beads/communityCentric/home.htm    (025)