soa-forum

[soa-forum] Next level of detail for SOA demo

To: "'Service-Oriented Architecture CoP'" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:18:36 -0400

Enclosed expands on the “buyer/broker/manufacturer” example as a proposed SOA demo.  This is not yet done but I want to get it out for feedback prior to doing much more work.

I actually started to do an SOA based on the records management spec and pulled-back because it seemed that much of it would just take to much interpretation and explanation – something we don’t want for our first demo.  There are a lot of special “archivist” words that are outside of most of our comfort zones.  So I returned to the more simple (I know, some people think brain-dead) broker scenario.  At least it is easy to understand and implement (a lot of systems should be able to be wrapped to implement & use the services it in minutes to hours, which makes good demo).

I had hoped to get this to the next level, complete with WSDL interfaces produced from the model, tested with simulation – but that’s not done yet but will be in a couple of days (work keeps getting in the way).  So the idea is to get at least 3 independent participants to implement components behind the services to bootstrap the community.

One area I really stripped-down is the SOA messages, they are very small, really just a demo.  I looked at some of the industry schema, but they are so big it would be a bit hard to follow.  So consider the tradeoff and provide feedback.

There was also a question as to what EDOC was and what a SOA community is – well, here it is.  At least from one view.

The question was asked, again, as to the purpose of the demo – this is what I have:

The goals of this demonstration are;

  • To provide a concrete example of how the SOA approach provides business value to a community
  • To provide confidence that the approach and technologies are real – secure, reliable, performing and practical.
  • To validate that independently developed applications can interoperate using SOA standards

What I may want to add a non-goal;  This is not a demo of what SOA may become or possible future approaches, this is to show how the best practice of SOA and supporting real technologies can provide business value RSN (Real Soon Now).  Just the idea that independently developed systems can interoperate within an open community is a big deal to much of the business community, old hat to many of us, but still of great business value.  So that is the essence of the business value.  We can then add to that all the great stuff we can do with our cool tools, infrastructures, ontology-stuff and approaches.  If we can’t, at lest, do this simple demo we should just go home.

Of course, the goals are also a part of the consensus process, your mileage may vary.

We need to get consensus on the scenario real soon, not the technology or SOA theory – but what the business intent of the SOA is.  If not “broker” we need well developed alternatives ASAP.

Regards,

Cory Casanave