Re: [ontac-forum] Type vs. Class - last chance to vote.

To: ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Gruninger <mudcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:58:15 -0500 (EST)
> In order to resolve a terminological question, we are in the process of
> voting whether to use the term "Type" or "Class" to refer to those
> intensionally-defined groupings called:
>
>   Class in Ontolingua and Protege
>   Class in RDF and OWL
>   Class in SUMO
>   Collection   in OpenCyc
>   Universal    in DOLCE
>   Property in Ontology Works' IODE system    (01)

A vote like this only makes sense if these concepts
really are equivalent, and I cannot make such a judgment
without seeing the relevant axioms.    (02)

First of all, the above list contains a mix of languages
(RDF, OWL) and ontologies (OpenCyc, DOLCE).
I'm not sure what to call Ontolingua, Protege, and IODE.    (03)

Can people from the above named ontologies please provide
the relevant axioms for their terms?
Common Logic axioms are preferable, but at this point,
anything is a place to start.
Can someone please post the axiomatic definitions of
RDF/OWL Class in Common Logic?    (04)

- michael    (05)